January 2015 — Present
StateScoop covers the intersection between state and local governments and technology, primarily through interacting with the c-suite — the chief (insert phrase here) officer for state technology departments.
In January 2015, Jake started as a staff reporter for StateScoop — after transitioning from the same role on SNG's federal publication. In September 2015, Jake was promoted to be the Manager of Strategic Initiatives where he worked on special projects, business development and content strategy. In the role, Jake forged strategic partnerships with several trade groups, nonprofits and associations and worked with SNG leadership and an editorial team to grow the publication. In his first half year on the job, StateScoop's traffic increased by more than 34 percent.
In addition, in 2016, Jake regularly spoke publicly on behalf of StateScoop and moderated panels across the industry. He also launched StateScoop's first regular podcast series concentrating on the Top 10 priorities of state chief information officers.
- California, other Western states leave more than $133M in FCC E-Rate funds unclaimed
- Utah launches first state government 'skills' for Amazon Echo
- Election 2015: CIO futures hang in the balance
- Inside North Carolina's Innovation Center*
- Future of North Carolina IT office rests with Legislature
- What states can learn from the OPM breach
- Former CIOs find special bond in state IT community
- Tech questions dog police: How to manage all that body camera data?
- How smartphones improved real-time bus tracking in D.C.
May 2014 — Present
FedScoop covers the intersection of the federal government and technology, primarily through interacting with federal government agency chief information officers and their other c-suite colleagues.
Jake started at FedScoop as an editorial intern, before he became a staff reporter in August 2014. Since January 2015, Jake has primarily focused on StateScoop, but has also contributed to projects on the federal side.
- FAA issues proposed rules for small drone integration
- Postmaster general takes down Congress in farewell remarks
- How the Postal Service uses tech for your holiday stamps
- Employee data potentially compromised in USPS systems breach
- Assessing the VanRoekel digital legacy
- VA reform bill heads to POTUS' desk, but what about IT?
- The coming invasion: Is federal IT ready for millennials?
- Mining of student data raises privacy concerns
* - A multimedia project